One of the best traits about dogs is their hair or fur. Whether they have dense, straight, curly, or thin fur, it helps them stand out from the rest. However, you can also find a dog with a shaved head. There are several hairless dog breeds that are beautiful in their own way.
These are rare dog breeds that carry the genes that led them to be completely hairless or have very thin hair on their surface. Some of those dog breeds are closely related, while others have a distinct origin. They differ in personality and appearance, but most of them tend to be fairly cuddly with their humans for love and warmth. Here are the top 4 dogs with shaved heads.
1. American Hairless Terrier
The American hairless terrier descended from a rat terrier. Some American hairless terriers are born with a light coat, but mostly that comes with hairless traits. These dog breeds are quite smart, playful, and active. They have a high prey drive for rodents and they make good family dogs too.
- HEIGHT: 12 to 16 inches
- WEIGHT: 12 to 16 pounds
- PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: Small and slender body; coat colors are black, chocolate, red, apricot, and many combinations; can be completely hairless or have a very short hair coat.
Xoloitzcuintli is a Mexican hairless dog that comes in both short-coated and hairless varieties. It is a dog with head shaved that requires exceptionally low maintenance as far as grooming is concerned. They are dogs that date back thousands of years. They are alert and loyal, making excellent watchdogs. They can be protective when needed, but they are generally known for their calm nature.
- HEIGHT: 10 to 14 inches (toy); 14 to 18 inches (miniature); 18 to 23 inches (standard)
- WEIGHT: 10 to 15 pounds (toy); 15 to 30 pounds (miniature); 30 to 55 pounds (standard)
- PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: Can be hairless or have a thin, flat coat; muscular and rectangular body; wrinkled forehead
3. Argentine Pila Dog
Argentine Pila Dog is closely related to the Peruvian Inca Orchid. This dog breed is mainly famous for its soft skin. This is a rare dog breed that comes in three size categories and is found in native Argentina. They tend to be playful, adaptable to new environments, and affectionate. It is a dog with shaved head that is mostly hairless. They have small fur on the top of their tails and head.
- HEIGHT: 10 to 14 inches (small); 14 to 18 inches (medium); 18 to 25 inches (large)
- WEIGHT: 9 to 18 pounds (small); 18 to 25 pounds (medium); 25 to 55 pounds (large)
- PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: Tail curled forward; pointed ears; relatively short body; almond eyes; narrow muzzle; skin color differs and can be of spotted or piebald markings
4. Hairless Khala
Hairless Khala, also popular as Bolivian hairless dogs, are a rare breed of dog originating in Bolivia. They are quite similar to the Xoloitzcuintli and share ancestors. These are the dogs that will love their owners and protect them fearlessly. So, training is a must for keeping them friendly with people outside of your household. Like other dogs with shaved heads, some of these types do have small hair tufts on their heads.
- HEIGHT: 14 to 17 inches (medium); 17 to 20 inches (large)
- WEIGHT: 14 to 30 pounds (medium); 18 to 20 pounds (large)
- PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS: Some are short-legged while the other ones have dark grey skin; longer legs; tufts of white hair on the head
Now that you are aware of the concept of dog with shaved head, you can readily choose the breed you want and pet them accordingly.